I Moved To Oaxaca

Monday, September 27, 2004

Well, one decent movie this week at Cinepolis, so I saw it Saturday afternoon. The Terminal. Judging from how the Office of Homeland Security comes across, I'd say ol' Steven Spielberg is one of those Hollywood liberals. Or maybe he's just controlled by Hollywood liberals. Or liberal space aliens. I don't remember how that's supposed to work.

And, as is often the case with subtitled movies, The Terminal, the Spanish-speaking audience, and I had a bad case of outofsyncitis, especially noticeable during the Star Trek references. It pretty much went like this:

Joke lead-in
Suzanne laughing
Joke
Silence from audience

I am a hard-core Star Trek: The Original Show fan -- have you ever played a home-made Star Trek: Trivial Pursuit game? -- and big-time geek. I'm used to us Trekkies and gamers being mocked in the media. We bring most of it on ourselves, true, but man it was nice to see a pretty gamer who was not the butt of jokes! Live long and prosper, Officer!

Frankly, it was the best thing about the movie, though I did enjoy Tom Hank's EFL speech.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home