I Moved To Oaxaca

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

And the milestones keep comin'. Despite my desires for a Roja or a Gigante, my Mexican nickname is definitely Guera (Lighty). You shouldn't take nicknames personally down here; everybody gets one, and it's usually based on a physical characteristic. Like Fatty, Slanty-eyes, Skinny, or Lazy. It seems as if the same dozen or so epithets are used again and again, which makes me think there must be a d12 or d20 table around somewhere. Maybe it's part of your citizen pack. Yesterday I stopped by Donut Lady's car to see what she had in her trunk for lunch. Mmm, pollo enchilada, frijoles, and espagueti. While she's packing it up on a little styrofoam plate, she turns to me and asks, Como se llama? Suzanne, I tell her. Ah, like my daughter, she says. And your name, I ask her. Irma. So know she's Irma the Donut Lady, folks. And it only took her, oh, about 10 months to ask me!

Here's the information you requested! Before I forget: spamshirt. It's a little pricey at $25pounds but maybe you can take the idea to your local printer for less.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home