I Moved To Oaxaca

Thursday, December 04, 2003

What with Jonathan and Manuel gone this week, scheduling at work got a little crazy. Like me having a 7:30 - 9:00p class MTuW, and a 7:00a - 9:00a MW. Ew. I haven't even looked at Friday yet, except to know that I have a couple of classes; all week I had my eye on today, Thursday, because I only have one class, and at 6:00p. Sweet. An evening to stay up late and sleep in the next day. A chance to go to yoga class. Get some errands done. Only in the middle of last night I woke up to someone pounding on the building's front doors. The doors right outside my bedroom window. It wasn't stopping so I got up, threw on some pants and went outside to see what was up.

The thing about those front doors is, you must turn the key to the left. If you turn it to the right you slip a bolt that cannot be unlocked with a key from the outside. Which my drunk neighbors in #3 had done. And I couldn't get the bolt to slip back from the inside, either. Nor could Elizabeth, the woman who took over for Carlos as the building's handyperson. Greg got in on it, too, and finally figured it out: open the left door and pull in, and the doors open and you can then push the bolt in with your fingers. Our neighbors introduced themselves as Jessica and Brian and, on seeing my t-shirt but apparently not my expression, said "You're from Berkeley? Us, too! We'll cook you dinner." Jessica kept repeating the part about dinner even after my snarled "Or something."

I finally got myself back to sleep, and barely remember Greg getting up at 7:00a for his class. I got up at nine when the jackhammers on the sidewalk out front started up. I'm getting a coffee down at Marcos and Osvelia's after this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home