I Moved To Oaxaca

Thursday, June 17, 2004

Every Friday at Spanish school Leticia and Iliana take us on a little field trip, like the outing to the house of a woman who makes tortillas. Because of my Berlitz work schedule, I haven't been able to go since I actually signed up for classes! So last Friday, as a way of participating, I busted out the corn meal G brought back from the States and whipped up a batch of corn bread, one for Spanish school and one for Ceviarem. I was late for class as the stove has no numbers on the temperature dial so I had to guess at the temperature then watch the cornbread like a hawk. Well, I finally got to class, set up the corn bread, butter, and honey, and stood back. Oh -- apparently they don't eat corn bread in Mexico. Here, in the heartland of corn cultivation and consumption, it is as mysterious as an organic burrito with a spinach-flavored wrap. Leticia and Iliana pronounced the corn bread "good ... interesting ..." but Jerry, the English teacher, and William, a fellow student, are both from the south and they pounced on the corn bread, and were two very happy guys.

If I wake up early enough, I'm gonna bring biscuits tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home