I Moved To Oaxaca

Saturday, February 21, 2004

I've been tweaking my hiking blog. The latest entry posted is a trip I took to Leviathan Cave in Nevada a couple years back. I found three trip reports about this destination: one from a guy on the trip I was on, another from a group of guys from Utah, and the third from Mr. UFO Research Center in Rachel himself. I think the three, read one after the other, are pretty funny, but that's just me. And no, it really doesn't have much to do with Oaxaca except I've been thinking ahead to being back on the AT, and since I still have 2 1/2 months before I get there I've been twiddling my thumbs by tinkering with my hiking gear and journals.

I feel like I'm in this funny place between being comfortable living in Oaxaca (which I am) but I still haven't found a way or will to integrate myself with people here. So not only do I feel lonely most of the time but I am getting pretty tired of not getting out as much as I'd like. Which, frankly, is every day, but I'm willing to compromise. But once a month is a crappy compromise, I say.

So why don't I get out more? I haven't found anybody to go out with and I'm usually uncomfortable going out alone (hey, baby!). Now, there's gotta be some 30- and 40-something women in this city somewhere who like to do active and/or outdoorsy things, but I think they're like "pet stores" in the local phone book: I assume they're in there somewhere, but they're not listed under anything logical like "pet" -- or cat, dog, animal, farmacia, veterinario, etc. And there's nothing under "amigo," either.

Maybe everyone's hiding under "k."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home