I Moved To Oaxaca

Friday, August 29, 2003

Ah, my turn to hit the wall today with these stupid lesson plans. Or maybe my creative well was just a bit too dry this afternoon, who knows? What I do know is that for my two kids classes, I have two of my three lesson plans for next week mostly done. For my two new adult classes, ugh. We don't get a lesson plan book for adult classes, so I just scribbled some notes on a piece of paper. Not much different, really, than filling out the lesson plan book, but it seems a bit sketchy in my head. Well, I've got tomorrow after my marathon 3-hr class to work it out. Sigh.

Street Food Report: On a good note, since today is Friday the roving market was up the street. I went up this morning and got some produce, then when Greg and I went to school this morning for a training session, we stopped in and got tacos from Los Sombrerudos, the stand recommended to us by Adam, a fellow teacher. We watched for a minute to see what the process was. A lot like Shalimar: wade up to the woman with the apron and slips of paper, tell her how many tacos, she gives you a slip printed with a number and tells you how much. Next, wade up to the meat guys, hand them your slip of paper and tell them what kind of meat -- today we chose carnitas. When the meat guy asks you, "Todo?" say yes and he adds a chopped onion/cilantro mixture and some green salsa. Take your tacos on their little styrofoam tray to the middle of the action and add the extras: guacamole, salsa fresca, lime wedges, and pickled onions. Find a shady curb in the parque and eat. Six meat tacos cost us 33 pesos, and filled us up. I splurged and got a tuna water from the vendor next to Los Sombrerudos. She had two kinds, agua and hieve, and since I had and still have no idea what hieve is, I went with agua. I got a couple scoops of squished up tuna (the fruit, people, the fruit!) in a plastic cup with some horchata-like water, some chunks of cantaloupe, and a sprinkling of walnuts. 10 pesos.

Oh, good news: I don't think I have dysentery anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home