I Moved To Oaxaca

Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Timothy's taking the first-class bus back to Mexico City this afternoon; we spent the morning drinking coffee and talking about that favorite subject of the New Age, community: finding one's place in it, building it, expanding it, enriching it. Marcos and Guadalupe have been lobbying Timothy to move down here in a few years, but Timothy said this morning that although it's tempting as he really likes Mexico, he realizes his community is in Williams, and down here he'd be an outsider. I've been thinking a lot about community since I left the Bay Area, being sad about leaving my community behind and wondering if or when I'll find another. I don't know.

My good friend Tom, the Mayor of Hayes St, sent us this:

Since you guys left I sit out front with my tea and
paper for about 20 minutes every morning. Even sat and
sun. I just realized this morning this is a habit
from waiting for you guys in the mornings.


I tell ya, I don't want to float around for the rest of my life! I love being in Oaxaca, I'm glad we did what we did, but I miss my friends and family and California. Fall is my favorite time of the year, but this autumn I find myself looking right past it to the end of December/beginning of January, when I hope to come up and visit. I can taste it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home